YouTube / Videos
- Everything Is A Remix (Full Video) [30 mins+] A fairly straightforward video about a simple idea that runs through everything. I think it has profound implications.
- Alan Watts – Mind over Mind / Why the urge to improve yourself? [51:49] “The reason you want to be better is the reason why you’re not.”
- The Overview Effect [19 mins] This is what astronauts experience when they look at the Earth from space. A profound, gut-realization that Earth is incredibly precious, and that everything is interconnected.
- Coming to our senses [57:20], a lecture by Jon Kabat-Zinn. If you have lots of things to do and you’re lost and confused, this will clear everything up. The hour it takes is well worth the increased clarity and productivity and joy you’ll have afterwards.
- How The Economic Machine Works [30:59] Ray Dalio
- every frame a painting – great youtube channel that does analysis of good filmmaking.
crash course – entertaining and compelling entry-points into science, history, literature and other forms of learning.
- nerdwriter – youtube channel exploring ideas.
- CaspianReport, which is full of compelling geopolitical history lessons. The guy making these videos is clearly passionate about what he’s doing, and he clearly knows his stuff, too. Better than any history lessons we’ve had.
- Charisma on Command – breakdowns on what makes people likeable
I use Trello, Workflowy, Evernote, Telegram, Whatsapp, Facebook, Messenger, Gmail.
Colourcode is a cool color tool.
Here’s a bunch of stuff I refer people to.
- betterexplained – intuition and insight-driven math lessons that focus on understanding concepts.
- What can a 21 year old do now, that will help later in life?
- HN – jobs don’t scale
- HN – how to become a millionaire in 3 years
- HN – business first, product second
- How To Be A Consultant
- HN on the Seinfeld method
- HN on procrastination
- 6 harsh truths that will make you a better person. Because you need a kick in the ass. Also see:
- Maybe You Should Stop Being A Fucking Pussy, and
- The Flinch, a pdf about feeling the fear and fucking doing it anyway. Could be the kick in the ass you need.
- cracked.com – How The Karate Kid ruined the modern world – expectations vs reality
- 50 best business + life lessons by Robin Sharma (Monk who sold his Ferrari) My personal favourite is “Procrastination is an escape mechanism for people scared to do their best work.”. That hit hard.
- Robin Sharma: Kill the saboteur, the voice of fear. Kill the saboteur, the voice of fear. We procrastinate because we’re afraid, because doing meaningful work always involves risk, involves putting ourselves out there to be judged. That’s scary. Procrastination gives you an excuse. See also Wait But Why’s take on the matter.
- Reddit: Become Disciplined.
- Evolution of Cooperation, by Robert Axelrod. Compelling argument that co-operation emerges naturally, almost inevitably, and is robust. It gives me faith that it pays to be good.
- The Information: How The Internet Gets Inside Us:, a beautiful New Yorker piece by Adam Gopnik about The Internet, culture… this is a piece I wish I’d written.
- CreativePenn – Publish your eBook on Smashwords e-book stuff, writing stuff, publishing stuff. I intend to publish books, potentially ebooks. This may come in handy.
- underconsideration.com/brandnew/ opinions on corporate and brand identity work
- dafont.com/ ALL the fonts!
- /blog-post-to-dos/ what to do with your blogposts
- HN’s favorite bookedmarked threads
- lukemorgandesign superhero/design inspiration
- jamesrobertwatson.com/ – professor of design who does great design deconstructions
The Nature Of Economies by Jane Jacobs. It’s a lucid and entertaining discussion about economics, ecology and systems theory in general, presented as a conversation between friends.
- /updated-managing-complex-change/ Vision Skills Incentives Resources Action-Plan.
- Edward_Bernays marketing / pyschology dude
- calnewport.com – the need for deeper career vocabulary (not just finance or social work)
People I like, respect or otherwise admire.