When I was a teenager I was very fascinated by the concept of heroes, heroism. My username was “visaisahero”. It had a dual meaning.
Crucible, Burden, Born vs Made, Hero vs NPC, Greeks, Joseph Campbell, Hero’s Journey, Monomyth, Archetypes.
It’s interesting how you can be married to someone and be naked with them and be best friends with them and yet not be entirely honest with one another.
It’s interesting how you can spend a whole lot of time by yourself, with yourself, and yet never quite be honest with yourself.
- (identify or create written description of process.
- identify measures that tell you how well the process is currently operating. (unit cost, cycle time, throughput, utilization, defect rate, recrdables, etc.)
- study the standard.
- walk the process.
- document a scope for improving.)
The Overview Effect
The Overview Effect is the mind-expanding experience that astronauts have reported having when they go to space and physically look at the planet from an outsider’s perspective.
- Original Vimeo video about The Overview Effect [19:02]
- Wired – Wait till you see the earth in VR 
- VICE article about The Overview Effect
- Youtube – guy’s dad cries from experiencing Apollo 11 via VR
- Youtube – We Stopped Dreaming [5:20], Part 2 [6:00]
- YouTube – The Biological Advantage Of Being Awestruck [[3:21]
The Phenomenon Of The Internet
I’ve long been meaning to write some sort of essay about the Internet as a phenomenon. For now, here are a collection of links:
- The Information – How the Internet gets inside us
- The secret lives of Tumblr teens
- Social Gentrification
- The Sixth Stage of Grief is Retro-computing
- NYmag – Social media made popularity boring
- Ev Williams at XOXO 2013
- Ribbonfarm – The Rhetoric of the Hyperlink – I think if you want to make things on the internet, you need to be sensitive to the fact that everyone’s always going to be opening lots of tabs, going from place to place, channel-surfing at an absurd rate. You should probably design with this in mind. If you choose not to, it ought to be a deliberate choice.
It’s been interesting to witness the Internet go from village to metropolis. Sometimes miss the old days. Somebody should write a history (twitter)
“When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine.” – Pablo Picasso
I was interpreting this to mean that Picasso was making a subtle point about how artists aren’t nearly as concerned with discussing Form and Meaning verbally – their art does the talking for them. They’re more interested in learning things that can help them do their work. They socialize with one another by discussing the tools of their art, not their art itself.
Lots to think about here.
- Gathering data points
- transcribing thoughts in real time
- making sense of data points
- comparing and contrasting ideas