Hi, I’m @visakanv. Call me Visa :-).
Why does this blog exist?
- Love. I’ve loved the Internet since I was a little boy, the same way people love libraries and bookstores. It gives me a sense of possibility.
- Habit. I’ve had websites and blogs ever since I was a kid, and I’ve always liked the idea of having one.
- Peopling. Derek Sivers has this great quote about how (I paraphrase) the next big opportunity in your life is going to come from someone you know, so get out there and know people. Having a blog allows people to find me, via Google or other means.
- Storage. I use this blog as a repository, as a thinking tool, as a working space. It’s a work in progress, it’s messy, it doesn’t make a lot of sense a lot of the time. I will try to tidy it up from time to time, but overall I think it’s going to always be messy because it’s a representation of my mind – which can be a messy place.
Here’s what’s on this blog:
I write about marketing. Here’s my master list of recommendations. Reviews of movies and TV shows. A messy place to keep track of my books. And here’s a list of my curiosities. A list of people who’ve influenced me. What I’m up to right now. A bunch of predictions, and my favorite brands.
A list of realizations I’ve had, about life in general.
Here’s a post about my childhood and my experiences as a misfit, and being in the GEP. I probably have some form of ADHD. I think a lot about adulthood, and parenting. Sometimes I write about Singapore. What does it mean to be Indian? If I weren’t a writer I think I’d be into fashion or architecture, both of which I think are subsets of design.
I think school is outdated and needs an update, and that we should rethink education. I’ve always been fascinated with media, especially in the age of the hyperlink. I think philosophy should be practical. We don’t examine perception enough. And we should think about death in order to live well. Boredom is a puzzle that can be solved.
I’d like to get better at getting things done. Here are posts on procrastination, distraction, rewiring habits, installing purpose, installing superior beliefs, decide, meditate, processes, Final Version, monotasking.
louboutins, apple, remix, mcdonalds, power of habit
- Work hard? Me? But I’m Gifted!
- JC sucked for me
- No, I won’t be going to university
- My journey from underachieving student to moderately competent adult
- Advice for a JC student
Career stuff (marketing)
- I’m on the marketing team at ReferralCandy, where I manage the ReferralCandy blog. I’ve helped it grow from 1,000 to 60,000 hits a month. Here’s a list of my best work with ReferralCandy.
- I co-founded Statement.sg, and am looking to expand the Statement blog.
- I’m a three-time Quora Top Writer.
- I wrote a post on Medium titled An Analysis of Power In Mean Girls which got over 20,000 views. It was shared by @alexisohanian, @ev, @nilofer and featured on Uproxx.
- My “How To Bullshit Everyone With A Success Story, Sans Facts” post got shared by @sippey (former VP Product at Twitter) and @vgr from Ribbonfarm.
- I’ve had a blogpost about procrastination hit the front page of Hacker News, which got me over 18,000 hits and all sorts of interesting emails and requests.
- Here are a list of my best Hacker News comments.
- I did an AMA on /r/singapore once, it was pretty well-received. Here’s another submission that did really well.